Shrove Tuesday Pancake Dinner
Tuesday Evening, March 8th
Donations accepted at the door.
Join us for our annual Shrove Tuesday Pancake Dinner benefiting the E.Y.C.’s fundraising efforts for their summer mission trip to the Ozark mountains to build and repair housing for the elderly and poor.
The dinner is a tremendous amount of fun. The youth put the entire evening together, preparing for the event, cooking the pancakes, and serving the faithful.
This year the fun will include:
• At 5:30, the great Pancake race, with a trophy and prizes.*
• Several different kinds of yummy Pancakes
• Live entertainment from our youth group (I have heard Justin Bieber will show up!)
• Great fellowship and fun as the parish makes her last hurrah! Before Great & Holy Lent begins
• The burning of the Palms afterwards**
*There is a very old English costume of having a pancake race on Shrove Tuesday stemming from a certain legend. It is said that an unknown women, who was cooking pancakes, upon hearing the parish bells calling her to confession, ran out the door of her home and to the parish wearing her apron and carrying her pan, complete with cooking pancake. The villagers found such entertainment in this sight, that it fast became a tradition. If you would like to race, be sure to bring your apron and pan!
**It is the custom of the Church to burn the Palms from the previous Palm Sunday on this day to make ashes for use on Ash Wednesday. You are invited to bring your palms from home to burn for use on Ash Wednesday.
One thought on “Shrove Tuesday”
Like!! Great article post.Really thank you! Really Cool.