Sunday School Update
This Sunday, July 31st, Fr. Jeff’s Adult Sunday School class will NOT meet – we WILL offer Children’s Sunday School beginning at 9:30. Coffee, dough-nuts and fellowship will be offered for the adults while your children are downstairs for their class. Please join us – we would love to have you. A nursery will be provided for those needing childcare for children under 3 years of age.
Saint John’s Episcopal Church
We are collecting stuffed animals for local paramedics to use to help comfort children involved in traumatic situations. You can participate by bringing new, cuddly stuffed animals (WITH THE TAGS ON THEM) and help us fill our “Teddy Bear Cave.”
Sign up to feed our E.Y.C.
We need your help feeding our E.Y.C. members on Sunday evenings beginning at 6:00 p.m. at the parish. There is a sign up sheet located on the board in the sacristy hallway with dates that are available. For more information, contact the Parish Office.
Fall Youth Events
Episcopal Diocese of Mississippi
August 20 – FALL AWWY GATHERING
(Adults Working With Youth) at Gray Center
September 23-25 – Sr. High DOY Retreat
(Division of Youth) 9th – 12th Grades at Camp Bratten-Green
October 21-23 – Happening #84 Staff Training at All Saints’ Tupelo
October 28-30 – Jr. High DOY Retreat
(Division of Youth) 6th – 8th Grades at Camp Bratten-Green
November 11-13 – Happening #84
10th-12th Grades at All Saints’ Tupelo
Registration forms and more information is available at diomsyouth.org or contact the Diocesan Youth Coordinator, Whitney Robinson, at email@example.com.
Honduras Medical Mission Information
There are a few important dates to remember:
· The dates for the 2017 mission will be Saturday, February 18- Saturday 25, 2017.
· Deadline for filing the application is July 15, 2016.
· The team will be chosen and applicants notified in August 2016.
· There is a mandatory overnight team retreat at Gray Center Friday evening January 13, 2017, until Saturday after lunch January 14, 2017.
Individuals must pay their own team fees of $1400. The first $700 must be paid bySeptember 15, 2016, with the remainder due December 31, 2016.
Anyone may apply – we always have a need for medical professionals including doctors, nurses, veterinarians, dentists, dental hygienists, optometrists, and pharmacists; however, no medical experience is required! There are also openings for general support for which no prior training is necessary! We always need Spanish-speaking applicants, but there are translators present for those who don’t speak Spanish.
If anyone does not wish to travel, but wants to support the mission, there are two ways for you to so:
1. Word of Mouth! Almost everyone knows a doctor, a nurse, a veterinarian, a dentist, a dental hygienist, an optometrist, a pharmacist, or someone who loves to travel! Please, ask them to get the word out!
2. Donations! While team members pay for their own expenses, the mission does fund raising to raise money to purchase medicines, supplies, and tools needed to serve the team. We also offer small grants to the community for infrastructure, economic, and educational improvements. Any support of these activities – either by individuals, vestries, or servant ministry groups is welcome. Donations may be sent to the Honduras Medical Mission c/o St. Andrews Cathedral, PO Box 1366, Jackson, MS 39215.
We here at Saint John’s love reaching out to others and letting them know that they are loved by God, held in prayer and remembered. Our Pastoral Care Committee, E.Y.C. and Daughters of the King society would love to write notes of encouragement, send small care packages and simply let others know that they are prayed for and remembered. If you have a loved one who is shut-in, a college student or in the military, follow this link to fill out the form and let us stay in touch with them! The form is here:
|For the Year
|| $ 123(100%)
O God, our heavenly Father, make the door of this Church wide enough that all who need human love and fellowship and a Fathers care may find it, and narrow enough to shut out all envy, pride and uncharitableness. Here may the tempted find help, and the sorrowing receive comfort. Here may the careless be awakened to repentance, and the penitent be assured of your mercy. And here may all your children renew their strength in You, and go on their way rejoicing. Through Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen.
Saint Johns Episcopal Church
541 North 5th Ave./ P.O. Box 1766
Laurel, MS 39441